Share Your Story: Close To Home
kləʊz / tə / həʊm
What does it mean?
– Affects you deeply and emotionally because you can strongly relate to it (Source: The Free Dictionary).
– Causes you to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed because it is likely to be true (Source: The Longman Dictionary).
– Is within close proximity to your home or dwelling (Source: The Urban Dictionary).
– Involves someone directly (Source: MacMillan Dictionary).
Because I was bullied as a kid, I teared up when my son told me he gets teased at school—it’s just so close to home (Source: The Farlex Dictionary of Idioms).
Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places, close to home – so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any maps of the world (Source: Eleanor Roosevelt).
The bombs hit close to home last night; they were only a few miles away (Source: The Urban Dictionary).
This problem hits particularly close to home for many parents (Source: The MacMillan Dictionary).
How can you get in on it?
We are looking for seven brave storytellers (men and women) to share their own, personal “Close To Home” stories. Takes on the theme can be literal or figurative. If you are up for the challenge, write-up your true 1200-word story. Possible angles might be:
– That holiday gathering where things went awry—or came off better than you ever imagined possible.
– Something occurred close to where you live or work—that made you rethink things.
– A comment or action hit you right between the eyes—and altered your life.
– An event transpired that resonated deep within you—causing you to grow.
– Your Christmas or Thanksgiving trip home turned into a nightmare—en route.
If one of these ideas hits you #CloseToHome, go for it! Or send us your own unique take on the theme. Be creative and surprise us! But whatever you decide, get writing, because the last day to offer up your tale is Friday, November 17, at 6pm!
“Close To Home” will take to the Moody Performance Hall (formerly Dallas City Performance Hall) stage on Tuesday, December 19. If you are cast in the show, there is a mandatory rehearsal on Saturday, December 16, from 12-4pm.
Need a little inspiration? Watch this: